This dress has been a long time in the making.
I’m not sure but I think I bought the fabric at Christmas and I have been quietly obsessing over it since then.
Sofia has at least three Playdate dresses already but she is doing what most girls her age are doing. She’s growing like a weed.
So the dresses have all become smaller and smaller. When I found this border fabric I knew it was destined for a new Playdate dress.
The fabric is very sheer so I knew I would have to line it. I had a hard time deciding on lining it with batiste or poplin. Both options were sheer as well and a good weight for the exterior fabric to play along with. But were they both heavy enough to make the dress non-see-through?
In the end I decided on the batiste since it’s supposed to be a summer dress and the poplin was a bit polyester heavy.
Instead of gathering the sleeve caps I made a pleat to echo the pleat in the front. I did make a pleat at the sleeve edge at first, just like the pattern states but it didn’t sit right so I ended up taking it out.
I also constructed the yoke a bit differently meaning I had to slip stitch it by hand on the inside. Something I will not try again.
The original instructions from Liesl of Oliver + S are excellent and it would have been an easier way to do it – but at least I know that now.
I wasn’t very pleased with the end result at first. The dress reminded me of a night gown or a Lucia gown, but Sofia likes it and once she puts it on and she starts running around in it I don’t get those vibes any more.