I realised I never explained about the Lepidoptera-quilt. Isn’t it amazing?!
I saw it when Elizabeth Hartman released the pattern last year and I was completely blown away by it but also slightly intimidated. All those pieces!
I’ve made a few of her patterns, placemats and napkins, a quilt for Sofia but never any of her animals.
Then in February I bought a Craftsy class where she taught a bear block and a deer block and I was intrigued and decided to give it a try after all.
I bought the Lepidoptera-quilt pattern and set out to try one of the butterflies – and of course I ended up trying the big one in the middle.
It’s absolutely huge! But in hindsight I think it was a good one to start with because it didn’t have any teeny tiny seams to match and was pretty straight forward – if a huge fabric eater.
I had a stack of blue fat quarters in my stash that I originally intended for a quilt for Isabel that never happened – although it turned out that it wasn’t necessarily the colourful fat quarters that was the problem – it was all that background fabric.
Isabel quickly laid claim to the finished butterfly. I would like to set it on a whole cloth quilt, but I need a little bit more of the grey background than I have so I’m not sure how to proceed.
After that huge butterfly Sofia asked for one and as it turned out I had even more solid fat quarters (this has been a great stash buster) – in purple this time. This time I had to dig into my stash of Kona Snow for the background.
Lastly I used a little more of the purples to make this awesome Flamingo. I want to revisit that pattern some day because I love how it came out. I’m actually dying to make a solid pink one.
All this was done in prep of the huge quilt. I really wanted to make it from the same fabrics used in the pattern and I was able to track down a kit for it in the US but it was a bit more money than I felt I could spend.
Until I found a kit at the Fat Quarter Shop, they had it on sale and agreed to sell it to me without the pattern.
I have since cut all the fat quarters into various strips according to the cutting instructions and cut up all the background fabric. I think it took a week of evenings to get that finished. I have bagged all coloured fabric and backgrounds for each block in individual bags and I am sewing one butterfly at a time. I want to let this take time as it is so much fun!